Understanding Agriculture: Series Introduction

— Written By Jody Carpenter and last updated by
en Español

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.

English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

The agriculture industry plays a vital role in our society. We all engage with agricultural products every single day. Think about it….we all eat! Today, less than 2% of the American population produces the food that the remaining 98% enjoy. Here in Currituck County about ⅕ of the total acreage is farmland. Many of us can look out our windows and see acres of corn, wheat or soybeans. Few of us however, are familiar with the knowledge, skill and abilities it takes to successfully raise these and other agricultural commodities.

Over the next several months, the Currituck Agriculture staff including Agriculture Extension Agent, Jody Carpenter and Agriculture Technician, Sarah Watts will introduce you to various topics, terms and practices common to farming and agriculture in our area. Our local farmers are valued members of our community and we hope this series helps you to understand them and their important contributions to the lives, land and economy in Currituck County.

For more information on agriculture in Currituck County, contact Jody Carpenter, Agriculture Extension Agent at 252-232-2261 or jody_carpenter@ncsu.edu.

Currituck Grown logo

NC State University and N.C. A&T State University commit themselves to positive action to secure equal opportunity regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, political beliefs, family and marital status, sex, age, veteran status, sexual identity, genetic information or disability. NC State, N.C. A&T, U.S. Department of Agriculture, and local governments cooperating.

Written By

Jody Carpenter, N.C. Cooperative ExtensionJody CarpenterExtension Agent, Agriculture - Field Crops Call Jody Email Jody N.C. Cooperative Extension, Currituck County Center
Updated on Feb 15, 2018
Was the information on this page helpful? Yes check No close
Scannable QR Code to Access Electronic Version