Extension Master Foods Volunteer Program
Extension Master Food Volunteer Program
**Scroll Down for the 2018 Class Schedule and Application!
About the Program
The NC Cooperative Extension Master Food Volunteer (EMFV) program provides citizens with an opportunity to extend the work of Cooperative Extension by providing unbiased, research-based information on food systems, cooking and food safety to our community. Under the guidance of Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) Extension Agents, volunteers complete a 30-hour training, shadowing and volunteer service to earn the status of Extension Master Food Volunteer.
Who Can Become a Volunteer?
Anyone who has an interest in food preparation, food systems, nutrition, or food safety can apply. Ideal candidates will possess a desire to enhance their skills, increase their knowledge and enjoy working with people.
Volunteers from Currituck and Camden Counties are invited to participate! Not in one of these counties? Check with your local Extension Office or join us anyways.
What is Expected?
- Complete the EMFV application process including references and background check.
- Complete the mandatory 30-hour EMFV training program.
- Communicate volunteer opportunities that suit your skills and interests to your agent.
- Contribute 30-hours of service including shadowing within the first year of service.
- The cost of the program is $30
Opportunities for Service
- Health fairs
- Food/Cooking demonstrations
- Farmers market displays
- In-school and after-school programs
- 4-H youth programs
- Newspaper or newsletter articles on healthy living
- Health ministries in your community
- Cooking classes
- and more!
2018 EMFV Schedule:
Application Open: June 11
Application Deadline: August 3
Interviews will be conducted via phone. Once your application is received you will be contacted to set up your interview. Invitations to selected candidates and request for payment will be sent on August 17th, 2018 and training begins September 4th.
2018 Course Schedule
Date Location Topic Time
- Sept. 4 Pasquotank* EMFV Program Overview 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Sept. 11 Currituck History of Extension 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Sept. 18 Currituck Teaching Strategies/Diversity 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Sept. 25 Pasquotank* Programs That Work 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Oct. 2 Currituck Changing Health Behaviors 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Oct. 9 Currituck Cooking Skills 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Oct. 16 Pasquotank* Nutrition 101 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Oct. 23 Currituck Cooking Demo 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Oct. 30 Currituck Food Safety 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Nov. 6 Pasquotank* Food Systems & Local Foods 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Course Evaluation and Graduation
Currituck Extension Office is located at 120 Community Way Barco NC 27917
Pasquotank Extension Office is Located at 1209 Mcpherson St, Elizabeth City NC 27909 – *Participants arrive at the Currituck office at 8:30 a.m. and ride together or can meet at this location.
Download the PDF class schedule at http://go.ncsu.edu/emfvschedule18
Use this google form to apply for the 2018 class. If you have trouble viewing the form or to request a printed form please contact the Currituck Extension Office.For additional information contact Olivia Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org.