WELCOME TO CURRITUCK COUNTY
Currituck County is the most northeastern county in North Carolina. The mainland of the County connects the coastline of northeastern North Carolina with a peninsula that is bounded on the west by the North River, on the south by the Albemarle Sound and on the east by the Currituck Sound. Currituck County’s northern beach strand separates Currituck Sound from the Atlantic Ocean. The wide, clean, and beautiful beaches attract millions of vacationers each year. USA Today described the Currituck beaches as “one of the best undiscovered beaches on the East Coast.”Currituck County was one of the five original ports for North Carolina and one of the original counties. The Currituck County Courthouse and Jail are two of the oldest buildings in North Carolina. The original Courthouse was constructed in 1723. This building was replaced in 1842. It has since been renovated and currently houses the County’s governmental offices. In 1776, the Colonial Legislature granted permission to build a jail in Currituck County. The Currituck County Jail is one of the five oldest jails in North Carolina.The word “Currituck” in the Algonquian Indian language means ” The Land of the Wild Goose.” The abundant waters, marshes and woods still available in the County enable Currituck to enjoy a national and international reputation as a “Sportsman’s Paradise.” Hunting and Fishing guides still operate in Currituck as they have for centuries.
Care to tell us why? Send Explanation